Art is a gift to be received and shared and comes in many many forms. Paint, Cook, Travel, Poetry... you name it, if you're sharing creative energy, that's an Art. ~Steph

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Style of His Own. Randy Chiurazzi


San Diego-Based guitarist Randy Chiurazzi has created a style of music that’s his own. With his guitar he creates a unique sound of western and eastern flavor for children and adults. He also focuses on creating interactive learning songs for kids which they love and he does fun live performances and weekly BlogTV. His music is fun and touching and definitely adds sunshine!

Randy, what was your childhood like and did it have any influence on the style of music you play now?

My childhood was very typical in many ways. Not a lot of musical influence in my home, but great parents who encouraged me to travel, and keep an open mind.The part that influences how I play now was my young adulthood. I spent two years studying Guitar Craft with Robert Fripp in Europe. 

Your songs are very unique, do you write all of your own songs?

Yes. I have always wanted to write my own songs.

These songs have a lot of personal feeling to them. Are they emotional for you? What inspires you to write?

I love to get behind the song and make it everything it can be when it is performed so I focus on getting into it emotionally.I am inspired by things that strike me as phenomenal. Sometimes, they are things a lot of people think are amazing, and sometimes not. I like it when a phrase or concept enters my mind that makes something mundane seem amazing to me. I also like when a concept enters my mind that makes something amazing seem mundane and commonplace to me. 

Most of your music is based around your guitar. Do you play other instruments?

I play all of the instruments on my Children's CD, "Let's Go to Africa", but it was difficult. So, yes, but with a lot of effort.

I went on a mental vacation when I heard “Brush Strokes”. Where does that song come from? What made you name it ‘Brush Strokes’?

On that day, I liked the tone quality of the strings when my fingernail brushed across them; then, the main riff of the song started to take shape. I took the time to develop the idea into a song because I wanted something instrumental to play on stage. I am inspired to write instrumental music. I have written a score for a play, http://setinvenice.com/music.htm so I was glad that Brush Strokes came along.

Did you write all of the music for ‘Set in Venice’? How do you get there in your head? I don’t think I could ever sit down and connect the music with the scenery as you did.

I wrote all of it. I spent some time studying music composition at Duquesne University and Carnegie Mellon University music schools in Pittsburgh. I developed a love for composing and have been listening to a lot of modern symphonic music ever since. I developed an approach to instrumental music that I explain at my website http://randychiurazzi.com. When the Setinvenice writer, Greg Hohman said, 'I want you to really explore the ideas you have on your experimental music page', I was inspired to spend the many hours it has taken to realize the score.


What is ‘Let’s Go to Africa’ about?

That is how I combine my love of teaching and music. A friend of mine said, ‘you should write children's music'so I did! In fact, "Let's Go to Africa" is the first episode of a children's music video show. I made a low budget version of the show so potential producers can see the concept. The videos are on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/user/thegoshowonline. My dream would be to host a travel show where I write and perform music with and for kids. I have performed the show at schools and parties with puppet man Scott Masters. At the website you will find the lyrics and ideas for making instruments.

Where do you perform live?
I perform at an Open Mic on Tuesday nights at a fantastic Portuguese restaurant called Portugalia in San Diego at 4839 Newport Avenue, San Diego, CA 92107

It is hosted by excellent San Diego songwriter and promoter, Jefferson Jay-jeffersonjay.com. I play longer sets in the showcases that Jefferson puts together. 

What Inspiration would you offer our Creative Souls out there?

I would say to get the most enjoyment out of your art. Learn how to relax about your technical level at any given time. Learn how to play at that level with the highest quality. Anyone who sounds great is doing just that, no matter how technically brilliant they are.

I have been very fortunate to study with some of the best teachers in the world. That is the best training I have received from them.

Be sure to check Randy out and http://randychiurazzi.com and live on Blog TV at  http://www.blogtv.com/people/randychiurazzi   

Thank you so much Randy. We wish you a fun and musical Journey. 

1 comment:

Kathryn Magendie said...

How handsome and talented he is - thank you for introducing us to Randy.


Categories

(c) 2009 - 2011
Stephanie Jordan, Diviacity

All Works Protected
Please do not copy or redistribute
in any form without writing
diviacity@diviacity.com


The views expressed in these interviews
are soley those of the interviewees.




Make sure to check out the show online :-))

Mailing List

YouTube